The man who disposed of Timothy Pullen's body claims there is nothing left of the 34-year-old to find as he makes a bid for freedom despite Queensland's new No Body, No Parole laws.
Stephen Renwick claims any microscopic remains of Mr Pullen's burnt body would have been washed away by Cyclone Debbie.
But Mr Pullen's parents are suspicious of Renwick, who keeps changing his story.
Renwick is serving a five-year jail sentence for disposing of the corpse near Collinsville, west of Airlie Beach, after he was killed over a $30,000 drug debt in April 2012.
Renwick, who was initially charged with murder, originally claimed Mr Renwick's body had been wrapped in a blanket and dumped in a paddock.
He pleaded guilty in June 2016 to the lesser charge of accessory after manslaughter with the promise he would reveal the location of Mr Pullen's remains.
But a search of the area Renwick pointed to that same month led to nothing.
In August 2017 the state government passed its "No Body, No Parole" laws, meaning killers and accessories would be kept behind bars unless they revealed the locations of their victims.
Mr Pullen's parents were trotted out by Corrective Services Minister Mark Ryan to praise the legislation - only to find out Mr Ryan had not told them one of their son's killers, Benjamin Oakley, had just been approved for release.
In September, Renwick wanted to lead police on another search, but this time claimed Mr Pullen's body had been wrapped in plastic, covered in logs and burned.
At his parole hearing on Friday, barrister Josh Fenton said diesel was used to accelerate the fire, which burned for up to 90 minutes and reduced Mr Pullen's body to ash.
"The tragic fact is the body has been reduced to such microscopic levels that it cannot be seen by the human eye," Mr Fenton said.
Mr Fenton said Cyclone Debbie passed directly over the Collinsville area in March 2017, meaning any remains were likely washed away.
He argued Renwick should be released on parole as he had co-operated satisfactorily with authorities and done his best to recall where Mr Pullen was cremated.
Outside court, parents Leanne and Gary Pullen said they were unsure whether to believe their son had been cremated as the timing of Renwick's revelation was "extremely suspicious".
Mrs Pullen said her local crematorium told her it was impossible to burn away all a person's remains as even their furnace left bone that had to be ground down.
"What's the truth - is he maybe thinking that by saying he's cremated Tim that there won't be any evidence? I don't know," Mrs Pullens said.
Mrs Pullen said her family would be "devastated" if Renwick were released as it meant all chances of finding her son would be gone unless someone discovered his remains by accident.
"Throughout all of this, all I've ever wanted is to know is where Tim was," she said.
"In my lifetime I want to be able to lay him to rest respectfully because what parent wants to leave this earth not knowing.
"It's just a question in my head all day, every day."