Nearly 80 fires continued to burn across NSW on Thursday with dire predictions about the coming fire season.
The fires were most prevalent along the NSW coastline particularly on the south coast near Shoalhaven and Bega.
Yesterday was the earliest a fire ban had been introduced since records began.
Acting Media Manager of the Rural Fire Service Ben Shepherd said the RFS was expecting conditions to deteriorate.
"We could see properties come under threat later today," Mr Shepherd said, referencing 37 fires yet to be brought under control."
"It's a massive effort," Mr Shepherd said. "We stand ready."
There were currently just under 600 firefighters deployed across the state, with the worst outbreaks on the south coast where fire has burnt more than 1300 hectares of bushland near Ulladulla.
Fires were also burning on the mid north coast and up to the Queensland border.
Warm and windy conditions have played into the fires being so widespread across the state.
"We've seen a reduction in fuel loads," Mr Shepherd said, in reference to conditions across the state.
"The drought obviously remains a factor."
Mr Shepherd said conditions remained extraordinarily dry.
'It doesn't bode well going into the fire season."
Researcher at La Trobe University Dr Jim McLennan said the weather did not need to be hot for bushfire to be a real problem.
Dr McLennan said bushfire prevention mechanisms were "limited" and that there should be a stronger state approach to handling bushfire threats.
He said bushfires weren't necessarily linked to summer heat and can take off "as long as there is a strong wind to push them along".
The researcher said the bushfires breaking out earlier than usual could be attributed to three factors - climate change, relating the fires to those seen in California, Greece and Portugal, people living closer to bushland, and governments unwilling to employ greater preventative measures.
Dr McLennan said private land owners also needed to employ bushfire prevention mechanisms to limit spread and help fire fighters.
"Making sure fire access tracks open, things like that," he said
"It's limited to what agencies can do to clear land and reduce the risk."
"It's up to the land holder him or herself to do or not do mitigation work."
"That's got many local governments in quite a pickle... ... We're probably not all that well equipped to deal with the new reality that we're in.'
Bureau of Meteorology spokesman Mohammed Nabi said the winds had been "nowhere near as strong as they were yesterday".
Mr Nabi added that the winds were staying within 50 – 70km/hr and had moved to a final phase.