The NSW government is hopeful it will be smooth running for train commuters on Tuesday as thousands more hit the network for the new school year.
Sydneysiders faced minor delays on Monday morning with more than a dozen services cancelled due to "unexpected" crew changes.
Another 10 were canned during the evening peak period as a result of a mechanical fault and sick leave, a Sydney Trains spokesman said.
But it was far from the chaos expected if a planned 24-hour strike went ahead and a ban on overtime remained in place - both of which were ordered to be suspended for six weeks by the Fair Work Commission last week.
Train services were shut down early on Sunday night in preparation for a return to normal weekday schedule, with bus services offered to late-night commuters.
Despite some hassles for some, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said it was "business as usual".
"When you're running hundreds of services on a daily basis, it's quite a common thing to have some services tweaked so I'm not concerned about that at all," she told reporters.
"In the main, people were able to get to their destinations as scheduled and that's what matters."
Transport NSW co-ordinator Marg Prendergast said Monday served as a "practice run" before thousands more hit the network on Tuesday.
"We're ready for tomorrow," she told Network Ten.
After the industrial action was cancelled, Sydney Trains contacted crew to "gauge their interest and availability" to do overtime.
Some drivers have claimed they feel threatened, following an email from CEO Howard Collins reminding staff that "refusing to work reasonable overtime" to was covered by the Fair Work Commission's order.
But Sydney Trains insists doing overtime was optional.
"At no time were staff coerced to accept," a spokesman told AAP.
NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance said the government would look at the issue of overtime - which has always been part of the roster and some drivers relied on it.
"But we will work with the union bosses reasonably and have a look ... at when critical incidents happen and if we have to free up capacity I'm happy to do it," he told 2GB Radio on Monday.
He did concede there was an overall driver shortage and said reports that retired drivers were being lured back to work to help fill gaps "made sense".
NSW Labor leader Luke Foley said the system has been starved of resources.
"There are simply just not enough drivers, signallers and other essential railway staff to deliver the new timetable," he told AAP.
Negotiations between the unions and Sydney Trains continued on Monday after workers rejected a 2.75 per cent a year pay rise as part of a package including free bus travel and a one-off $1000 payment.
Sydney Trains is hoping to present a proposed enterprise agreement in full to a union delegates meeting later this week.
Rail, Tram and Bus Union NSW secretary Alex Claassens said there were still several conditions the two sides were yet to agree on after talks on Monday.
Mr Claassens said the parties would meet again on Wednesday and Thursday.