Organisers are confident they've done all they can to inform athletes and officials travelling to the Commonwealth Games about Australia's visa restrictions.
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has warned Australia's stance on border security and revoking visas for those who break the country's laws won't be compromised during April's Gold Coast Games.
The home affairs department has also said it will monitor the immigration status of all participants to ensure no-one overstays their visa.
Team members from Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Bangladesh were among 45 athletes who overstayed or applied for protection visas after the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games.
More than 100 athletes overstayed their visas after the 2000 Sydney Olympics with more than 30 applying for asylum.
Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation (GOLDOC) chairman Peter Beattie said briefing athletes and officials on visa requirements had been a major part of pre-Games planning.
"Recently the Chefs de Mission were here and during that time we made sure that everyone clearly understands the restrictions in Australia - that's athletes and officials - and they understand the strict regime that applies in Australia," Mr Beattie told AAP.
"I don't think there's any doubt in anybody's mind in any team that's coming to Australia what the visa limitations are and the strict situation that applies in Australia."
Mr Beattie said GOLDOC had no issue with Mr Dutton's comments, saying there was no harm in making sure everyone knows what the rules are before they arrive.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she was hopeful this year's Games would be a happy and harmonious event.
"We want these Commonwealth Games to be family friendly," Ms Palaszczuk said.
The Games run from April 4 to 15 with more than 6000 athletes and officials expected to take part from 70 nations or territories.