The South Australian opposition has promised to slash preparation and dismantling time for the Adelaide 500 V8 Supercars race to free up the Victoria Park precinct for an extra four weeks a year.
Opposition Leader Steven Marshall says if the Liberals win the state election on Saturday his government will put an extra $250,000 on the table each year for the next four years to ensure the disruption to park users is minimised.
"The snail's pace at which the temporary grandstands go up and come down in Victoria Park is symptomatic of a Labor government that is old, tired and arrogant," Mr Marshall said on Sunday.
"The Adelaide 500 is a great event but there is no need for Victoria Park to be a construction site for six months a year."
The opposition said at present arrangements for the temporary grandstands and other facilities can take 25 weeks to go up and be brought down.
The Liberals said extra funds would help bring in more workers and would cut the time taken to 21 weeks.
But Premier Jay Weatherill said construction time had already been reduced to less than 20 weeks.
"What they're saying is they're going to spend $1 million to actually take longer to put the grandstand up and take it down," Mr Weatherill said.