The father of a boy kidnapped on the Gold Coast says his son has been asking if he will be abducted again.
Zheng Jie Zhang, 53, has been denied bail after being charged with six offences including kidnapping for ransom, with police also seeking another suspect.
Zhang has been accused of driving the black SUV the 12-year-old was bundled into after being allegedly snatched last week.
The boy has been reunited with his family and his father, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, said his son was worried.
"My son has been asking, 'when will police catch him? If I go to school, will I be kidnapped again?'" he told the Nine Network on Thursday.
The father said he was initially prepared to comply with the kidnappers' demands.
"In China, I already prepared the money to pay a ransom," he said.
"I wanted to pay the ransom before the kidnapper hurt my son."
Southport Magistrates Court heard on Wednesday the boy had told NSW detectives he was on his way to his Mudgeeraba home from school on Friday afternoon when a man, who is being sought by police, grabbed him and placed a bag over his head.
Police claim the abduction was an attempt to secure a ransom after the alleged kidnappers fell out with the boy's family over "substantial" personal loans.
Zhang was arrested on Saturday in the northern NSW town of Grafton less than 24 hours after the alleged abduction following a tip-off by the public.
It's alleged he was in the black SUV when police arrested him and the boy was found bound and gagged in the back seat.
Zhang's bail application was denied after the Chinese-born Australian citizen was deemed to be a flight risk.