A jury has been unable to reach a verdict in the trial of a security guard accused of exposing himself to a toddler at a Sydney shopping centre.
Mohammad Hassan Al Bayati is alleged to have taken the three-year-old girl from a Homebush mall playground in December 2016 and masturbated in front of her in a stairwell while her mother was Christmas shopping.
The 29-year-old had pleaded not guilty to detaining a person for sexual advantage and committing an act of aggravated indecency against a child, but a hung jury had to be discharged in Downing Centre District Court on Wednesday.
Al Bayati previously told the court the child had refused to move from a stairwell for the 11 minutes he was there alone with her while trying to reunite the girl with her mother.
While giving evidence he said he'd been unaware that taking the toddler into a stairwell with no CCTV cameras through a fire-exit door that had no handle on the inside was against protocol, as he hadn't been trained on such procedures.
The Crown alleges later that night on December 18, the toddler told her father about the indecent acts.
A retrial is slated for May, 2019.