Long-serving Ipswich councillor Paul Tully has accused Queensland's Labor government of avoiding the embarrassment of defeat in the Supreme Court by legislating him and his colleagues out of office.
Local Government Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said on Monday laws would be introduced in August to allow the dismissal of Ipswich City Council (ICC) and the appoint of an administrator.
The legislation will make redundant the ICC's challenge to a show cause notice, issued by Hinchliffe, which was to be mentioned again in court on July 31.
Cr Tully, who has served Ipswich for 39 years, said Mr Hinchliffe's announcement was a "big surprise" and there was nothing they could do to stop it.
"The government is changing the rules on the run. They've been embarrassed by the fact that their advice must have been they would have lost the second show cause notice," he said.
"You can challenge a minister's or bureaucrats' decision in court. An act of the Queensland Parliament is rarely challengeable."
Hinchliffe told reporters the ICC could have dragged out their court action for years but Mr Tully said it was a "spurious claim".
Fifteen current and former council members are facing 75 charges under an ongoing Crime and Corruption Commission investigation.
Acting Ipswich mayor Wayne Wendt issued a statement late on Monday stating the council had been operating a surplus budget, there were no allegations against the 10 standing councillors and Hinchliffe had "little respect for the legal system".
Mr Tully said he would spend his off-time finishing a book on who killed Jack the Ripper before standing again in 2020.