Former NRL player Nathan Stapleton has faced a Brisbane court after allegedly assaulting a man at a bar.
The former Cronulla back was self-represented in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Wednesday when his single charge of assault occasioning bodily harm was adjourned to October 31.
The 28-year-old, whose NRL career ended in 2014 after 61 games with the Sharks, allegedly assaulted the man at Brisbane CBD pub Johnny Ringo's on August 5.
He remains on bail granted after his arrest.
Outside court, he would not comment on the charge but expressed remorse and warned young players against using violence.
"It's one of those things. I don't condone violence in any way, but guess we'll find out soon enough," Stapleton told reporters.
"Think with your head, not your actions. I'm in this position because I didn't do that. It's not worth it, at the end of the day.
"Just walk away, because at the end of the day you're role models to a lot more people than you realise."
Stapleton, who now lives in Brisbane, admitted life after football had been difficult.
"I'd been lying if I said it wasn't," he said.
"It's one of those things where I've got to take it head-on and accept what happens and just keep moving forward."
Court documents did not give details of the charge, with Stapleton's occupation left blank on his charge sheet.