Harsher penalties will apply to those who misuse Australia's controversial online medical records system, under changes the federal government intends to make.
Victims of domestic violence would be better protected under the planned adjustments revealed on Wednesday.
Health advocates are backing the changes, but some still want to see the deadline for people to opt-out of the system pushed back from November 15.
The latest reforms come after two Senate reviews called for stricter sanctions for those who breach the system and extra safeguards.
Health Minister Greg Hunt said the coalition has also taken notice of the views of various concerned groups and Australians.
But he has insisted My Health Record is a "remarkably strong system".
"This is absolutely a private system and the truth is after six years and six million enrolments there still hasn't been a single case that has been identified of abuse of My Health information," he told ABC radio.
Under the latest reforms, people found guilty of improper use of My Health Record would face up to five years in jail, instead of two.
The maximum fine would more than double to $315,000.
Victims of domestic violence would also be better protected, with abusive former partners banned from accessing their child's records.
Private health insurers would also be kept further from the system's data, being unable to access it even when it has been de-identified.
Labor had pushed for some of those changes last month.
That came after the coalition put forward others to boost privacy by ensuring police and government agencies will need a court order to obtain patient data, which have passed the lower house.
The Australian Medical Association is glad its concerns on privacy and the potential for private health insurers to access the data have been heard.
"The My Health Record may not yet be perfect, but it will get there with the support of the public and the health professions," AMA president Dr Tony Bartone said.
The Consumer Health Forum has also welcomed the latest reforms, though it wants the opt-out deadline to come after they have been debated in parliament and backed by both sides of politics.
"If that is not possible before November 15, that formal deadline should be extended," chief executive Leanne Wells said.
The opposition also wants the opt-out date extended.
"We will study the detail of the government's amendments in the coming days to make sure they haven't botched this ... but Labor also remains concerned about the government's timetable," Labor spokeswoman Catherine King said.
Mr Hunt will introduce the amendments when federal parliament returns in later this month.
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
Lifeline 13 11 14