A notorious South Australian pedophile will remain behind bars until at least next month, after prosecutors fast-tracked a key psychiatric report.
Colin Charles Humphrys, 66, appeared in the Supreme Court on Wednesday to argue an order allowing his release from prison should be activated.
But prosecutors said a psychiatric report initially expected to delay Humphrys possible release by six months will now take less than four weeks to complete.
Humphrys agreed to postpone his application until then, and the case will return to court on March 13.
Justice Trish Kelly's decision to grant parole in March, 2018, was upheld by an appeal court, but Director of Public Prosecutions Adam Kimber immediately launched a bid to keep Humphrys behind bars.
Last week, Justice Kelly said the delays in the case were "totally unacceptable" after prosecutors flagged the further six-month wait.
Their case relies on new legislation passed by state parliament which establishes a test to be applied before offenders such as Humphrys are freed.
They essentially require an individual to prove they are willing and able to control their sexual urges, rather than the Crown having to show they are unwilling or unable.
Humphrys has served multiple jail terms for his extensive history of sexual offending, including the abduction and abuse of a boy in the 1990s and the sexual assault of a boy in a toilet block in 2003.
He has been indefinitely detained for more than nine years.